Friday, January 9, 2009

I [Heart] Super Nanny

Friday night and where am I? It's probably the only night of the week that I actually catch a little TV action and wouldn't you know I'm watching a parenting show... A sure sign of age. The show of choice? Super Nanny. What can I say, she gives me hope. No, wait. Maybe it's not her alone but the changes you see in the families. And to be honest, I see Aiden, and even myself, in many of those situation and almost feel normal for a change.

I don't know if it's by choice or maybe it's the nature of our professions that gives way to a tendency for chaos and limited organization in our household. I might not have mentioned before but I'm a social worker with unpredictable clients, to say the least, and Jamie's in the restaurant business. But either way, it always feels like it's there - maybe behind the scenes or in most cases, right in your face.

I still wonder how it is that families do it? We have one and well, it's pure madness at times. What do you do with two, three, four, or five? And to be honest, like really honest, people ask all the time why we don't have more. While I don't say this, I'm thinking if I can't get it right with one, how am I ever going to get it right with more than one? Screwing up one kid's life at a time is about the most I'm willing to take on at a time right now! In reality, I know that it is not like this. People that are close, and would never lie to me..., tell me what a great job we're doing. But don't you feel like it sometimes when you finally just lose it or even when you just have to force yourself to put on a smile and read the same. exact. transformers. book. again. for the zillionth time.

But this week I'm going to take on one of the most classical Super Nanny issues - bedtime. I'm exhausted by Aiden's exhaustion. From birth, he was never been a great sleeper. And although we're in a routine, it doesn't give Aiden the amount of sleep he needs. The kid has unbelievable determination when it comes to staying up at night. No joke, he literally holds his eyes open, physically with his fingers, pulling at his eyelids so that they do not close - God fearing that he might actually sleep and give me a moments peace. Is this so normal??

So, I'm shaking things up and making them right. My goals: Early to bed, early to rise (in a good mood for a change), and another important element in the above fore mentioned goal: STAYING IN HIS OWN BED (it's sad to say at this age we still have issues of a little monkey sneaking into our room at night...).

In other news, I'm looking forward to the weekend - I guess technically it's already begun. Finally one with no real plans except that adventure hike Jamie promised. Hey, maybe I'll get the rest of the holiday decorations down or plan that upcoming birthday party or maybe clean (ha). I can't promise too much...

No comments: