Thursday, August 14, 2008

Me Learn Camera

For the 9th anniversary of my 21st birthday, I received one of the best gifts ever. One that could also be considered a rite of passage for any mom - a real grown up camera - the Sony Alpha 200. The camera, as well as the man who gave it to me (*wink, wink* that's for you, Jamie), is amazing. The catch, I have no idea what to do with it... There are buttons and numbers and beeps. I couldn't tell you what 98% of them mean or do!

Planning ahead (something that does not necessarily come naturally to my husband in regards to birthdays and holidays), he also purchased a beginner's camera course from our local camera & photography shop. And last night I began my journey to knowing and using this wonderful tool.


My initial reaction upon returning home: Umm, I thought you signed me up for the beginner's class. Maybe I need the beginner's beginner one then? But once I began sharing some of the topics discussed, it started to piece together for me. I'm realizing now that I absorbed much more than I thought I did initially. Shutter speed and aperture... not so scary right now.

One thing discussed that I though really fit in with the themes of my blog so far was this:
When choosing to use a manual focus with the camera, you have to be less reactive in taking photos (having the second thought of hey, I should catch this on film and grabbing the camera as it's happening) but you should be more purposeful in your shots.

Just like in life we need to switch out of automatic focus and more into a manual stream of thinking. Whether planning for the right shot or planning for things to happen in your life - don't just wait for it and jump in at the last minute (although some days I'll argue that at least you jumped). Like with a camera, focusing on your subjects in life takes effort. It's easy to let someone or something set your focus for you. But to do it yourself is to really live.

Oh, and yes, that birthday phrase is completely borrowed, I'm not nearly that cleaver on my own...

1 comment:

Amanda said...

haha, your 9th anniversary of your 21st birthday. Nice.