Monday, March 30, 2009

Dear Jack, I'm so sorry.

I preface this by saying that I do not believe in physical/corporal discipline. It goes beyond anything that is natural for me in order to implement this type of discipline. No matter how many Dobson books I may read, it doesn't seem or feel natural. However, with parenting you will eventually find yourself at that point where you may try it, at least once. Because each kid is different, right? Until now it has been completely ineffective with Aiden, a waste time. But as he grows, his imagination grows. A time out isn't doing the trick anymore because he may sit, but he's dreamin' of galaxies far, far away.

So, with that said... We implemented a technique - a small spanking but with a spoon. I remind you, small is the key word here. I know, I know... eventually you get to this point though. Let it be said that I am not encouraging anyone to take on this technique, we are very thorough in our efforts and talk through the disciplinary process each time with Aiden (even for time outs, restriction, etc). Tedd and Paul David Tripp offer a fantastic step by step process in their video series Case for Kids, which I believe can be implemented with all types of discipline.

But what I can say - it worked a miracle. In the last six months, Aiden's been in trouble a total of maybe only once? Twice?

Being that type of mom that wants to share everything, especially if by chance it works - I happened to share this information with a friend over fondue a few weeks ago.

And now... I have guilt. Visit her site to see why, particularly the last paragraph.

Yes, that was me.

I'm sorry Jack.

But I'm laughing my ass off.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

OMG. That is too funny!

Jason said...

Good job! Personally I think today's society is ruined by 'time outs' and kids are too ballsy with no fear of reprecussion. It wasn't so bad long ago when we'd get whooped at school for acting out then whooped at home for getting whooped at school. But thats just my personal belief.

I always said that if/when I have kids they'd probably be taken from me because I am old school. Not abusive but not going to get walked on by raising a child in this 'PC' modern day ignorant parent utopia... We'll have to see.