Friday, March 20, 2009

Six (6) Words

Can 6 words change your life? Can they summarize entire periods or thoughts or space in time? Earlier this year I caught a clip from NPR regarding the 6 word memoirs published by Larry Smith, writer for Smith Magazine. It was amazing the stories that were told and untold in only 6 small simple words. Some humerous, some not so much.

According to the legend, this idea of a memoir in 6 words began when Ernest Hemingway was asked to write a story in just that - six words. He responded with For Sale: baby shoes, never worn.

I've thought several times hearing about this - what would be my 6 words? I still stumble on that. But in the meantime I've managed to collect a list of random 6 word memoirs shared by others - some found through the books published by Larry Smith and others were posted by everyday people. So, here goes -

Thought I'd be awesome by now. – Ryan
Wanted life to always be fair. – rossindetriot
Don't mention we met on Craigslist. – 27014
Ok without you; Best with you. -Fuerza Dulce
I think therefore I am late. – hawkman
He sees the me i don't. -unknown
Our prison visitations were surprisingly romantic
-unknown
If only he wasn't a Republican. - Holly Fitzpatrick
Leap of faith. Shit, no parachute. - Katherine Yunker
We "I do" -ed. Then he didn't. -Lisa Parrack
Bacardi rum killed our platonic friendship. -Lupus Solitarius
You are what life is for. -Yatima
If I get Chlamydia, blame MySpace. - Hanorah Slocum
Hesitation took away all my chances. -windybt
Not like I planned. It's better. –abbey
I fixed him but broke myself. -Amal Khairul
For sale. Mortage-backed securities. Truly priceless! – rahul
Didn't pull out. Downhill from there. -- Roger Daubach
I loved the idea of you. -Audrey Adu-Appiah
Tomorrow, maybe, I'll sell the ring. -Matt Tanner
Your planet: Peter. My planet: Earth. -Elinor McKay
The psychic said I'd be richer. - Elizabeth Bernstein
After Harvard, had baby with crackhead. -Robin Templeton
I type what I can't say. -Polotalbot
Never as eloquent as I imagine. -shinsarelove
Single by choice. His, not mine. -mkeogh
Still waiting for my super powers -christopher.hollowell 23
"I'm doing just peachy," she lied. -By Grashoppr
I still make coffee for two. - Zak Nelson
Love always protects. But protects whom? -Grashoppr
Three weeks left. So much left. -supermarcus
Waiting, hoping for fulfillment to come. -Grashoppr
Forever doesn't mean forever anymore -breeezy_rox
Just walking humbly with my God. -boguscow
I have everything, just wanted her . -WarpedWriter
I thought it would be different. -pops 2
I was not until you were. -elkiegirl
For thirty years we are one. -poochiepie

So, here's my question? What's your 6 word memoir? I know you have one... In the meantime, I'll be thinking of mine.

3 comments:

Katie Lewis said...

That's tough...do you want it to sum up your whole life, or this stage..hmm..how about
Five lives created, one to go...

Jenn Sugg said...

Very nicely done :-) I'm assuming you are speaking of creating a life for yourself unless you're trying to tell me something else
:-O

Katie Lewis said...

Good lord - see how done I am having babies, that didn't even cross my mind as a possibility. Just my life I was referencing. :)

KT