Thursday, March 5, 2009

Makin' Dreams Happen

Did you ever have those dreams where you go to school and suddenly, on the bus or in homeroom, you realize that you still have on your Pj's? Or maybe you forgot your shoes? Even worse, the one where you are naked? Man, I was mortified by those dreams. Scarred by my very own subconscious.

Last Monday (that would be the Monday before last), I eagerly woke Aiden nice and early in celebration of Read Across America Week. When you are in Pre-K, this is a pretty big event, a week long celebration that starts off with a day long Pajama Party followed by all the traditional Dr. Seuss things (ie. the ever famous and often duplicated green eggs and ham, etc) We had been planning this day for nearly a week - you gotta have the right set of jammies, you know? (which involves, on my part, locating and most likely washing the darn things)

So, there we were - Aiden dressed in his favorite Dark Knight Pj's, Transformers slippers, and robe. Pillow in hand along with three books to share with his classroom.

But the strange this is - when we arrived at school, the little kids weren't dressed in Pj's. Huh, that's strange, it must only be Aiden's class celebrating with a Pajama Party today.

As we get a little closer and I'm peering through the door - that's even stranger, what kid forgets Pajama Day, some of these little guys forgot their... oh... wait...

You can see me at this point - eyes darting around the classroom, counting heads and jeans and tennis shoes. No slippers? No robes? ...no pj's...

By this point Aiden trying to bust down the door to get in and I'm holding him back. The teacher comes by the door. Is everything okay?

Um, today's not Pajama Day, is it? is all I can muster in my sincere confusion.

No dear, that's next week.

I look down at Aiden. So cute and so excited to be wearing pajamas to school. I look down the hall as well, children coming and going, staring at the boy in the bathrobe. Yep, that's me, making dreams come true for a 5 year old. Making my dreams, my nightmares, come true... just for him.

Ah, we'll be back...


... Pajama Party Day, Take 2...
This week, we managed to do Pajama Day the right way.

1 comment:

Jason said...

That is just too cute.