Thursday, September 11, 2008

Cogito, ergo sum

I have a tendency to be less than stellar in my will to be an optimistic, positive thinking person. It's not that I'm a grouchy ole' skunk, I like life - just think it stinks sometimes and can't help myself but to tell you. Sorry... I'd probably be more popular among my friends and family if I didn't. This is one of those things on that never ending to do list that you'd love to change about yourself, you'd love to get right, much like my dieting. But to do so, you must change your thought process, your frame of reference. Cogito, ergo sum, I think therefore I am. (No, I did not remember that from 4 years of Latin) However, I must remind myself that what I think or how I think about things determines who I am.

Several months ago an email made its way around - Tips for an Exceptional, Superb & Powerful Life. A typical email is quickly deleted from my desktop, a practice instilled by my dad from days of ole' when computers had virtually no memory space available (a habit of mine that drives Jamie crazy!). But I didn't delete this one. It struck a cord with me. It offered small gestures to make life a happier place. No, I'm not posting them all here. But I am posting the ones that I enjoyed the most. I felt moved by them. Maybe you will too?

*Enjoy the ride. Remember that this is not Disney World and you certainly don't want a fast pass. You only have one ride through life so make the most of it and enjoy the ride.

*Do the right thing!

*Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need. God provides remember?!

*No one is in charge of your happiness except you.

*Ladies - Go on and burn those 'special' scented candles, use the 600 thread count sheets, the good china and wear our fancy lingerie now. Stop waiting for a special occasion. Everyday is special.

*Don't compare your life to others'. You have no idea what their journey is all about.

*Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present.

*Life is too short to waste time hating anyone. (except maybe starbucks... but that’s a long story)

*Life isn't fair, but it's still good.

*Dream more while you are awake.

*When you wake up in the morning complete the following statement, 'My purpose is to ________ today.' Each night before you go to bed complete the following statements, 'I am thankful for __________. Today I accomplished _________.'

No comments: